How Much Salt Is Too Much?
There’s a fine line between the amount of salt that is good for you and the amount of salt that is bad for you. Too much salt can be almost deadly and can cause a lot of bodily dysfunctions. On the other hand, too little salt can also be just as damaging to your body. So, how do we get the right amount? We have put together this article to show you just how important salt actually is, what are the pro’s & con’s and how do we get the right amount?
Salts holds a lot of Sodium -in fact, 40% of salt is Sodium. Why does this matter? Well, Sodium is a vital mineral for your body as it contributes to a lot of bodily functions. Sodium is an electrolyte, this means that it helps to balance the water around and in your cells. It also helps to balance your blood pressure in moderate amounts. As well as, helping muscle contractions and your nerve systems. This is all granted you have a sufficient amount.
However, what happens when you have too much sodium? Now, this is important to know as it affects more than you’d imagine. Too much salt can be detrimental to your blood pressure; high blood pressure can lead to heart disease and strokes, which can be fatal. Also, if you are looking to lose weight, it is not a good idea to have a lot of salt.
What if you don’t have enough? This, unfortunately, is just as bad. Too little, meaning not enough Sodium in your blood -this is called hyponatremia. Hyponatremia can cause weakness, fatigue, nausea, cramps, irritability and many more issues. Already, if you are an active person this is really not good for you and it’s not ideal for anyone in general. The last thing you want whilst training is too collapse whilst running, get a cramp whilst swimming or to get fatigue when lifting. Reasons such as these make it vital for you to have the right amount of Sodium.
How Do You Avoid Having Too Much & Too Little Salt?
Did you know that 90% of the US public exceed the amount of salt you are supposed have, 610,000 people die of heart disease in a year; that's 1 in 4 death. In concerns of strokes, 140,000 people die each year and 795,000 people suffer from strokes. Now, this is a lot of scary information, but it will help you see how important the right portion of salts are. Knowing what you are eating and controlling your salt intake can avoid these issues and I will tell you how.
So, how much salt should you have a day?
- Adults living in the UK, should be no more that 6 grams of salt per day, which is equivalent to 2.4 grams of Sodium.
- Children living in the UK (depending on age), should have no more than 2 grams of salt per day, which is equivalent to 0.8 grams of Sodium.
Avoiding too much-
- You want to get rid of your table salt! Hide it! Through it away! Anything, just don't use it; your food already have enough and one easy way to go overboard with salt is by adding extra salt -you don't know how much you are actually adding. So, this is a quick/easy way to cut down your salt intake and if you already not adding extra, you are doing something right.
- Control your sodium intake by checking food and drink labels- it is as easy as that.
- You either need to dramatically cut down on fast food/takeaway meals, these foods are absolutely littered with excess salts and if you have a lot of these foods and then cut them out, you'll notice a big drop in your salt intake.
Avoiding too little-
You could eat foods are not salty or foods that are very, as long as you have a good amount, so it is all about watching what you eat. It is just that easy! It is all about watching what you eat, however there are foods that are good for you and have healthy levels of sodium in, such as:
- Meats and seafood
- Eggs and dairy.
- Your veggies -5 a day.
- Nuts and fruits.
Premium Raws™ Help
ELECTROLYTE POWDER BENEFITS
- Contains many good minerals.
- Potent Hydration source.
- Helps to rebuild damaged tissue.
- Balances electrolyte levels.
- Supports the normal muscle functions.
KALE POWDER BENEFITS
- Derived only from fresh Kale leaves.
- 10x concentration.
- Contains sodium.
- Hugely popular superfood smoothie fundamental.
- 20% plant based proteins.
- 12% fibre to aid in digestion
For more support and tips about nutrition and more, feel free to explore our other blogs and visit our social media pages for more updates, support and deals>>>
Facebook - > @PremiumRawsUK
Instagram - > @premiumraws_